Olympus FV1000 Startup / Shutdown
Switch on in this order:
- (Box 1) Hg lamp: Flip switch to on (Once on, it needs to stay on for at least 30 minutes)
- (Box 2) Ar laser*: Flip switch to on (starts fan), then turn key to on (powers laser)
- (Box 3) 543 HeNe laser*: turn key to on (powers laser)
- (Box 4) 633 HeNe laser*: turn key to on (powers laser)
- (Box 5) 405 laser*: Flip switch, turn key to on (powers laser), Flip silver switch up to open shutter (if closed)
- (Box 6) PSU (Olympus “brain”): turn key to on, Flip switch
- (Box 7) UCB (Microscope “brain”): This box now stays “on”.
- (Box 8) Prior stage controls: Flip switch
- (Box 9) Computer: boot up, then start FV1000 software
*If you know you will not need a certain laser, you can leave it off. You should inform any users after you.
- Make sure the shutter is closed (it’s below the objectives on the right side of the microscope).
- Clean any oil off the objectives (check the sides as well as the lens- since this is an inverted microscope, oil can run down the sides).
- Exit FV1000 software. The computer can stay on if you need to transfer data files.
- If someone is scheduled to use the FV1000 after you within 3 hours, you can leave everything else on. If not, then proceed as outlined below:
- Cover microscope
- (Box 8) Flip switch to off
- (Box 7) Leave this box on.
- (Box 6) Flip switch to off, turn key to off
- (Box 5) Turn key to off, Flip switch to off (closing shutter is optional)
- (Box 4) Turn key to off
- (Box 3) Turn key to off
- (Box 2) Turn key to off, DO NOT FLIP THE SWITCH YET! (The fan needs to run for at least 5 minutes. This helps to cool the Ar laser and extend its useful life.)
- (Box 1) Flip switch to off (Once off, it needs to stay off for at least 30 minutes)
- After 5+ minutes, flip switch on Box 2 to off (the fan volume will decrease quite noticeably when it’s ready to be switched off).